just watched that zayn video. single tear rolled down my cheek (i swear). chronic dry eye or fate?!
THE PRESENCE OF GOD.
maledicte by lane robins is pretty good so far the main character is a woman posing as a male courtier and basically murdering everyone
I LOVE MALEDICTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is an excellent description.
Have you read The Sherwood Ring, the other book by Elizabeth Pope?
actually NO, that is the only thing by her i have read for some reason!!!! did you like it?
I love so many of these books but there are an equal amount I haven’t read! Must remedy! Also I read Cruel Beauty last month and was COMPLETELY unprepared for how great it was.
ME TOO i was totally unimpressed for the first bit and then like, everything about their dynamic was just SO MUCH REFRESHING FUN
speaking of jerks in love have you read Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal?? JANE AUSTEN WITH MAGIC and the main couple are stubborn bbs who jealously guard their magic secrets and then share because art = loveinexorablyacademic replied to your post:BOOKS ABOUT JERKS WHO MAKE OUT WITH EACH OTHER for…
pls read justine robson’s quantum gravity series and let me know if it was enough jerks in love
OH MY GOD I HAVE READ NEITHER OF THESE, BLESS BOTH OF U
BOOKS ABOUT JERKS WHO MAKE OUT WITH EACH OTHER for people who enjoy awful babies and/or reconsidering their association with me
- the queen’s thief series which i am contractually obligated by god to put on every rec list i do but also DO YOU LIKE FLIRTY THREATS, ROMANCE THAT CONFUSES EVERYONE WHO BEHOLDS IT, & CAREFUL TENDERNESS??? YEAH U DO.
- chronicles of prydain for some ORIGINAL JERKS, jerks who inspired the masses, also read westmark to get even ~jerkier (tw: war violence for westmark)
- i actually JUST read cruel beauty which was excellent mostly in that 95% of it was like, JERK BICKERING LAUGHING MAKEOUT COMBOS and then literally like “well we’re both awful at society but we can still be love” :’)
- melina marchetta’s jellicoe road AND lumatere chronicles both heavily feature cute romances between rude confused dorks (exception: evanjalin, all-knowing manipulative jerk) (tw: rape for lumatere)
- devil’s cub by georgette heyer i think she shoots him within like five minutes of their first meeting cute stuff
- slice of cherry like MURDEROUS TEENAGE SISTERS. BOYS WHO LOVE THEM. delightfully bizarre courtships. (tw: gore, mention of child sexual abuse)
- pamela dean’s tam lin LITERALLY ONE ENORMOUS EXERCISE IN ENGLISH MAJORS BEING SELF IMPRESSED DOUCHEBAGS AND THEN KISSING like read it
- blood and chocolate is about monster girl monster girl monster girl yessssssssss (tw: rape culture & sexual threats)
- the knife of never letting go is like also scifi dystopia political whatever but really we’re all here for viola and todd who nearly destroy everything (tw: war violence)
- swordspoint by ellen kushner which i often describe as amoral harry/draco because i have a problem but don’t hold it against ellen kushner
- the only alien on the planet LITERALLY MORE PEOPLE PLZ READ THIS BOOK + TALK TO ME ABOUT THE GINNY/MICHAEL LIFESTYLE (tw: child abuse)
- sixth grade secrets HAS ANYONE ELSE READ THIS BOOK?????? IT TRAUMATIZED ME. CHECK IT OUT.
- fingersmith i had real human friends be v suspicious of me after reading it like i know it’s victorian lesbians but anna they are bad people u know this right YES FRIENDS. I KNOW. GLORY IN IT. COME TO ME. (tw: institutionalizing)
- unraveled by courtney milan which SUCKER is the third?? book in the series so you’ll have to read all of it (tw: childhood abuse)
- this duchess of mine by eloise james is the sixth?? book in its series, got you again, THEY’RE ALL GOOD
- p much ALL romances in demon’s lexicon & unspoken but demon’s surrender has my favorite forever into the stars, liars in love :o
- the perilous gard i feel like i’ve been talking about this a lot lately and that’s because it’s so softly enthralling GOD, KATE
- a hundred thousand kingdoms is not-secretly about a threesome in which everyone’s an asshole & i love them. (tw: slavery, torture, rape)
- melusine hahahahahahahahaahaha kathleen they are all jerks though (tw: rape, incest)
- the changeover by margaret mahy is basically a girl turning into a witch and also high school dorks learning how 2 kiss (tw: sexual harassment)
- the hollow kingdom is like hades/persephone but they’re jerks and he’s a SUPER UGLY GOBLIN KING and i’m. really into that.
- speaking of really ugly i’m sure you’ve read the summoning etc by kelley armstrong but like. ugh. AM I GROSS FOR SHIPPING THIS, you will cry to yourself and darling you are so exquisite. (tw: institutionalizing, mental illnesses)
- also re: ugly and confused, read valiant by holly black, i have a problem, maybe this should be a separate list, too late
- eta: COLD MAGIC, i can’t believe i forgot kate elliott’s COLD MAGIC, the greatest asshole couple ever, i am fired from being myself, goodbye forever
!!!! thank you for helping me try :)
also if you tunnel down to my core i am nothing but shadows and angry teeth and very strong and bitter love so wow ppl are u rdy to see my cosmic horror self I SURE HOPE SO!!!!
to be fair i saw your cosmic horror self when u got me into homestuck and zoomster it is MAGNIFICENT.
i am so so tired of “BE YOURSELF” stuff, of “finding” the “THE REAL YOU” like if you tunnel down under layers of performance and adaptation there is one real onion heart you that is constant and truer than everything else about you, like you can’t choose, like performances don’t have meaning
i’ve been wearing sheer tights every day for the past 3 weeks never give up never surrender
i’ve switched from boots to lace shoes, we will change the seasons ourselves!!!
THINKING MAKES IT SO identity creation junk works so well for me that at some point i started thinking DRESS FOR SPRING AND THEN IT WILL BE SPRING but like, anna, calm down about yourself. your attitude does not in fact impact the weather. i’ve been quite cold.